by Ashley Koff RD and Ellie Erlich, Dietetic Intern
1 in 8, and the second leading cause of death among women, those are awful statistics- breast cancer we’ve had enough of you! But the good news is today we know so much about better nutrition for breast cancer prevention. Here are some of our top tips – please share with the ladies you love! Remember breast health begins with mom’s prenatal nutrition and those first five years, so start early and focus on this better nutrition at every age.
- Digest Better. When it comes to estrogen and breast cancer, the win is healthy digestive system because it takes used estrogens out of your body versus recycling it (the problem). Tune up your digestion with the better nutrition Digestive Tune-Up free by texting DIGEST123 to 44222.
- Probiotics – New research has shown that Lactobacillus acidophilus, a probiotic found in yogurt and kimchi, can reach the breast tissue and may have a number of anti-cancer effects. Probiotics can be naturally found in a bunch of tasty things such as fermented organic dairy and non-dairy milks, yogurt, kefir and miso. Eat your way to better digestive health with these miso cookies – an unexpected and extremely yummy snack or after-dinner sweet treat.
- Detox Better. Your body’s detoxification system takes used estrogens and helps convert them to a form where they can be eliminated. Text DETOX123 to 44222 for the better DETOX nutrition guide free.
- Broccoli. All cruciferous vegetables are rich in nutrients, including several carotenoids, vitamins C, E, K, folate, and minerals. Broccoli stands out as its curly heads (florets) and sprouts pack glucoraphanin (a glucosinolate) which is essential to the conversion of used estrogen into a form where it can be eliminated. Try this Buddha Bowl which is packed with glucosinolate-filled goodness.
- Rainbow Connection – Make delicious organic fruits and veggies part of most better nutrition pit stops. Plant nutrients are essential for all the bodies functions – and they are the foundation of your Clean Up Team. Get in these better nutrition bodyguards more often by having them in your freezer, fridge and even as part of your supplemental nutrition.
- Build Better. Hormones and healthy tissue by making better protein and fat choices more often.
- Hemp seeds & wild salmon – Getting a good balance of omega fatty acids is important to any diet. While all fatty acids play key roles in the body, GLA or gamma linoleic acid stands out especially for women. This omega-6 fatty acid has been shown to reduce inflammation and cell growth (cancer occurs when cells proliferate, or grow, uncontrollably). GLA rich foods include salmon and hemp seeds (and hemp seed oil). So consider adding hemp seeds to a salad, soup or pesto and choosing salmon when you make fish, eat sushi or make burgers. Try this wild salmon in parchment paper for a delicious (and easy) way to get in more GLA!
Don’t forget that what and how you store and prepare your foods matters, too. Likewise, what goes on your body most often (including cleaning supplies for your bed linens, towels and parts of your home and car where you spend lots of time). Stressing about breast cancer isn’t helpful or helpful so start with the tips and tools above and if you need more help from us, just ask!