The scale – it can be our bestie (when it says exactly what we want to hear) or our worstie (when it laughs at our efforts and doesn’t budge, or worse goes in the wrong direction)! Thankfully, it’s 2018, and yes, there is The Better Scale. Why is it better? Because better results should be judged by better numbers – your weight, your body composition, your energy, your recovery and your review of you – when it comes to deciding if you have better health or if you are tracking better on your way to getting (and keeping) better health powered by better nutrition. The best part about The Better Scale is that it is FREE! That’s right, the better scale is yours right now; this is your better scale:
- A notebook or the better nutrition journal (Text JOURNAL123 to 44222) to get yours and a pen or pencil. You can also use your mobile device where you keep notes
- Unwashed fitted jeans that you won’t wear (or can’t wear) for 6 weeks
- A belt (with several holes) or tape measure
- A cup of coffee (that’s 8 ounces)
- A liter of water or four 8 ounce glasses
- Your mobile device or step counter
- Your better nutrition digestive evaluation
- You, breathing
- Your alarm clock (could be your mobile device)
- Your best friend or partner
- Your Better Nutrition CheckUp Checklist – don’t have it? Text CHECKUP123 to 44222
So now that you have what you need, here’s how to use the better scale:
- Wake up one morning (not after a flight or a night out) and try on the jeans and see how they fit. You can take a photo if that helps (but camera angles are tough these days) so better to just jot down in your notebook a few comments about how the jeans fit – waist, thighs, hips, legs. Retest every 2 weeks noting, for women, your menstrual cycle.
- Do the same with the belt at two different spots – 1 inch above your belly button and 1 inch below your belly button
- Look at the cup of coffee. Do you have to drink it to function in the morning? When it wears off, do you have to get another one? Do you need coffee to go to the bathroom (#2)? If you answered yes to #1 & #2, your better scale says you should work on nutrient balance, assess your magnesium and your caffeine intake as well as your sleep. If you answered yes to #3 then you should text DIGEST123 to 44222 for the better digestive tune-up
- When was the last time you drank a liter of water? Can’t recall? Water enables your body to run better – to use nutrients, to remove waste, to clean things up, to make everything run easier and better. So is your better scale reminds you, you need to do better on water, join the better nutrition membership for the better water evaluation so you can learn how much your body needs, how much you are giving it and how to make better, not perfect choices to meet your water needs more often.
- Step right up and see how many steps you are taking most days. Could you do better? Walking – stepping – improves creativity, maintains brain health, helps reduce stress and aids fat loss, as well as supports better digestion. There isn’t a magic number but take your current average (daily) and add 1000 steps – can you make that happen more often? Also look and see if there are days dragging your average down – how could you make them better? Write that “how” down and do it this week.
- Have you done the better digestive assessment? If you haven’t done it yet, do it now. FACT: you can’t get nor keep better health if you don’t have better digestion. Your body needs to get what you take in, have it be usable, and remove what isn’t better for you. Your body sends you critical signals with your digestion – not going, going too often, going in the wrong direction, unwelcome smells, poor skin – so pay attention and address these first as they are what will keep the other parts of the better scale from becoming better.
- Are you breathing? The better scale includes a breathing assessment because as important as any other number – the number of deep, full breaths you take each day. Some of us aren’t breathing when we sleep (sleep apnea), others aren’t breathing when we exercise or when we eat. Take one 24-hour period to assess your breathing. One of my better nutrition tools is the 4-7-8 breath where you breathe in through your nose for a 4-count, hold it for 7-count, and let it out through your mouth for an 8-count. Repeat cycle 10 times and it helps turn off your body’s stress response.
- Set your alarm clock for when you will turn OFF your devices and lights – that’s right use it as an alarm to go to bed better! Too many of us keep the lights on in some form and that keeps us from better sleep. And yes, it is better to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. But doing that means less stuff in the evening – less food, less drink, less entertainment, less work … how could you do less in your evening? Pick three “how’s” and work on them this week.
- Besties, true best friends, will tell us what is already better and be honest in supporting us to do better. Make time with your bestie and ask them to tell you three things they admire about you. Then share three things you would like to do better and ask for their support in making them happen within a specific time frame. Tell them how you plan to do better and how you would like them to remind you and support you in your efforts.
- Your checklist – have you done it? If not, do it now. You need to help your doctor / practitioners help you better and that means being prepared with your questions, your current plan (what you are taking, not taking, consuming and doing more often), and what you would like from them.
The better scale is designed to get you better results. It uses the better nutrition tools – many of which are free – including the better nutrition membership (featuring weekly office hours) so that we can go over any questions. That’s what makes it better, that and getting the better results you deserve!
Ashley and The Better Nutrition Team