You probably know that vitamins and minerals are good for you – they are essential micronutrients, after all! But, it seems that we are always hearing that one nutrient is more important than others. And that’s just not true! Our bodies need a lot of nutrients – in different amounts – to run better. That’s right, you need to be getting in all of these nutrients, all the time! Stressed?! Oh no! Even stress increases our need for key nutrients, like magnesium…argh! Thankfully, there are ways to help you get them in more often; here are our tips to prevent and address nutrient gaps better.
Why nutrition gaps happen:
- We are not perfect eaters and neither are you! Phew! Now that we’ve got that out there, we can go on being human.
- Our nutrient needs change with age, life stage (like pregnancy/breastfeeding) and activity levels. Plus, taking certain medications or consuming high levels of other nutrients can adjust our needs for other nutrients, too!
- While we are able to control a lot of our eating choices, life happens. Things like forgetting a packed lunch, travel delays or an impromptu meeting can shift our intended food plan.
- It’s just hard to get 100% of your nutrient needs through food every single day – even with a well-planned eating pattern! For example, to get 600 IUs of vitamin D each day (100% of the recommended amount for most adults), you’d have to eat 4 ounces of wild salmon, almost 12 ounces of tuna (that’s a lot and can raise issues with mercury etc.), 14 large eggs (eek!), or almost 5 cups of fortified milk (that’s not better!).
Better tips to prevent and address nutrition gaps:
- Choose a Better Multi. Getting in supplemental vitamins and minerals helps our total nutrition choices (meaning, our food choices, and supplements) meet our daily needs more often! Quality dietary supplements can help fill in the gaps that you might not otherwise be getting through food.
- Better Organization. Being more organized in the kitchen can help you prevent nutrition gaps better! Planning your meals out ahead of time with nutrient-dense selections, shopping with a healthy grocery list, and scheduling your dietary supplements for auto-renewal helps make sure you have nutrient-rich choices on hand for when life gets busy!
- Assess Regularly. Is your body getting what it needs to run better? Don’t just guess! Assess!
- Use The Better Nutrition Evaluations to help you assess your current nutrition (food, supplements, medications) to see what’s already better (keep doing that!) and what could be better (use the better nutrition tools to help you make better, not perfect choices more often).
- Use The Better Check-Up Checklist to prepare better for your routine doctor’s appointments (schedule those!)
- Make sure your supplement recommendations are built just for you, get The Better Supplement Evaluation We’ll help you build your better nutrition plan!
How to get better total nutrition more often:
- Make it better with doctor-formulated supplements from MegaFood* “The bottom line is that most people are just not getting the nutrients they need these days, even if they believe they eat a healthy diet,” says Dr. Tieraona Low Dog, an internationally recognized expert in the fields of integrative medicine, herbal medicine and dietary supplementation, and author of the newly-released book by National Geographic, Fortify Your Life: Your Guide to Vitamins, Minerals, and More. “MegaFood multivitamins are made with nutrient-enriched whole foods sourced from a variety of trusted farm partners to deliver authentic nourishment, and can play a vital role in filling the daily nutritional gap.”
- Pack Perfect Bar* in your purse, backpack, office bag, or baby bag. While you’re on-the-go – from home to work to running errands to the gym – better nutrition can be a challenge! But each fresh from the fridge, delicious Perfect Bar packs in 20+ organic superfoods rich in micronutrients. The decadent Dark Chocolate Almond bar, for example, delivers 20% of the daily value for calcium. 40% of the daily value for vitamin E, and 30% of the daily value for magnesium! That’s better!
- Get Smarter Total Nutrition with SmartyPants* You are not what you eat (or pop or chew!), you are what you digest, absorb and are able to use! But as it turns out, many people are not able to use non-methylated B-vitamins (they don’t have the enzyme function they need)! That’s why we like that SmartyPants gummies use methylated folate and B12 – they’re simply better. The gummies also include CoQ10, which is better if you’re aging or if you’re taking a statin.
- Get calcium from plants with Califia Farms*. Non-dairy sources of calcium, like almonds, help you support the health of your bones and teeth. Yep, you can add in other non-dairy sources of calcium like leafy greens and some seeds to your eating pattern too – but simply sipping a glass of unsweetened almond milk or adding it to a smoothie makes for a great calcium-rich non-dairy option.
- Stressed from the good and the not so fun. Use Natural Vitality* Calm cream or bath with magnesium. The magnesium in these products is absorbed easily through the skin, which means it doesn’t require any digestive work. Now that’s better because under stress the body turns its attention from digestion.
- Get your glow from the inside out. Collagen and biotin can help promote healthy hair, skin and nails so add them in daily with Espira AM Protect and PM Restore.
Because life happens, because we aren’t perfect and because we shouldn’t try to be, use these tips to help prevent and address nutrition gaps better! What will you do first to find and fill your nutrition gaps? We’d love to hear what steps you’ll take. Post what you’ll be doing on Facebook and tag Ashley and Tori. You deserve better!
*Ashley Koff RD is a paid sponsor of the brands mentioned which she also may consume herself and recommends to her patients as appropriate. She may be the sole author of this post or not, but regardless she has reviewed and approved the statements and these are her recommendations.”