Ashley Koff, RD and Tori Schmitt, MS, RDN
Whether headed for educational sessions (we love to learn, but we also need those CEUs!), to check out new product offerings, to mingle with your colleagues, or to make new professional contacts – the better way to do FNCE is with a better plan! Here are our tips for how to spend your time better and get better results you deserve:
1) Learn Don’t Burn (Out)
With over 130 educational sessions, expert panels AND culinary demonstrations there are plenty of opportunities for RDNs to learn more about innovations in nutrition and acquire continuing education credits (woohoo)! But this can also be a recipe for INFObesity and that’s not better for any of us.
- Plan a manageable schedule and include bathroom & stretch breaks! You can’t be everywhere or connect with everyone and even thinking about it can be stressful! To keep FNCE from being STRESSME, Ashley says “we get so many emails before FNCE, so I use those as an opportunity to decline – with or without interest – if I am interested I arrange a call with the team after FNCE and mark their booth number or session as a ‘maybe.’ I am not interested, I make that clear. It is better for everyone, and anyone should respect that you have a clear focus for your conference that may not include them, this year.”
- Let’s do better together! We’ll be at and encourage all RDs involved in social media to attend “Cyberbullying and the Code of Ethics – What is the Connection?” on Sunday, October 22 at 3:30pm. Cyberbullying should never happen – especially among colleagues!
- Consider what will be better in-person, perhaps if you have questions you need/want to ask on the topic. All FNCE sessions will be recorded and available for on-demand access, so if you cannot get to all the sessions you would like, you can watch them for the first time (or again!) in the comfort of your home or office approximately 3-weeks after FNCE.
WIN BETTER: learn about better protein – amount, kinds, how to get patients to make better choices with The Better Protein Summit (FREE) from Ashley and fellow Registered Dietitian, Kate Geagan. Listen before 10/24 so you can enter to win the amazing sweepstakes prize(s)! Thanks to our better protein sponsors: Love the Wild, Manitoba Harvest, Pacific Foods, REBBL Elixirs, and The National Peanut Board.
2) Plan a Better FNCE With Us!
Whether you want better bites, better nutrition tips, better hugs or better business advice, we have you covered. Here’s where we will be during FNCE. We would love to see you and help you enjoy better nutrition better be delicious from some of our clients.
- Brassica (TrueBroc)* (Booth 826) – Brassica knows the science behind detoxification and how glucoraphanin, the long-lasting antioxidant found in the highest amounts in broccoli, impacts health. Sometimes our patients simply do not choose to eat their broccoli, and some of us can’t get it in daily, so we can offer them better support for their detoxification system with products like Brassica Tea and Coffee with TrueBroc® and supplements that contain the TrueBroc® ingredient too.
- Califia* (Booth 1158) – Come sip on delicious unsweetened plant-based milks and creamers that deliver calcium too. Whether you, your family or your patients avoid dairy or just want a delicious alternative, Ashley loves Califia Farms products because they are a better swop for so many store/coffee shop products (they don’t use artificial colors, sweeteners etc.). And, when using the unsweetened almond milk, patients can pick a different carbohydrate (like banana or sweet potato) for smoothies so that they are better nutrient balanced. Make sure to grab Ashley’s recipe card for some better nutrition better be delicious
- DIFM Symposium & Book Signing with Gaia Herbs* – Join me (Ashley) and the Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine (DIFM) DPG on Saturday from 10am-11am at the McCormick Place West (Convention Center) in Room W187 ABC for the DIFM Symposium. DIFM offers a place where you can learn about integrative and functional medicine from colleagues practicing or learning to include this in their practice. Thank you to my friends at Gaia Herbs for engaging me to provide educational webinars (sign up for our December session on INFObesity here and for gifting attendees with The Road Trip to Better Health Program – my workbook and audio program – for attendees!
- Manitoba Harvest* (Booth 943) – Hemp foods deliver better nutrition, and Manitoba Harvest hemp foods deliver it deliciously. We are such a fan of the different options for ourselves and patients. Ashley calls hemp “the wild salmon of the plant kingdom” because it delivers plant-based complete protein, omegas, fiber, iron and more. Hemp foods are a better nutrient balance tools because they don’t deliver additional carbohydrates so you can choose to pair them with your favorite carb and not worry about overdoing one nutrient group.
- Nature’s Path* (Booth 1136) – Organic whole grains – we dietitians know how important whole grains are, all day long, to help deliver a range of nutrients the body needs (and our patients want) to run better. Nature’s Path delivers better nutrition deliciously with its original cereals and the new single serve oatmeal cups (in delicious flavors like Maple Pecan and Coconut Cashew) and Breakfast Biscuits (which pair so well with nut butter!). Be sure to check out Ashley’s recipes there, as well as sign up for the RD Recipe Contest!
- SmartyPants Vitamins* (Booth 935) – How can we make it easier for our patients (and, ahem, ourselves) to get key nutrients that can be harder to get in more often with daily food choices? Make it delicious! SmartyPants offers an array of better gummies (what’s better? Read the blog here to deliver key nutrients – like methylated Bs, D3, CoQ10, and fish oil – for everybody, deliciously. And if you and your patients avoid artificial sweeteners, colors and flavors (woo hoo!), these gummies do too!
3) BYOBetter for Better Health Before, During & After FNCE
Nobody does better at FNCE if they arrive run down or sick (though that may not always be in our control) and we all have jobs and lives to go home to, so we don’t want to return sick or spent either. Here are our BYOBetter Top Picks:
- Brassica Tea* Packets* – These teas give you the health benefits of green or black tea and better support for your body’s own detoxification system because this tea is powered by TrueBroc®* glucoraphanin, the long-lasting antioxidant to help your detox system run better. And remember you can stop by booth 826 to pick up some extra tea at FNCE if you run low!
- MegaFood* Multis – On a good day at home, I (Ashley) am not awesome about getting in my orange foods or my iodine, but I know my body needs both to run better. At FNCE, I take the pressure off me by bringing my Women’s Multi from MegaFood to help me give my body the nutrients it needs to run better, and reduce the stress that comes from an RD trying to navigate getting in better nutrition at a massive convention center in Chicago for three days!
- Natural CALM* Packets – Magnesium helps turn stress off from inside our cells – and 70% of us don’t get enough of it! Are you one of the 70% who don’t get enough? Take the Better Magnesium Evaluation before you pack your FNCE bags.
- Perfect Bars* – Better nutrition better be delicious – to you – and deliver on nutrient-balanced, better quality, plant-based options. That’s why we love these fresh-from-the-fridge bars packed with 20+ organic super foods. We just can’t bring ourselves to not share better nutrition so we’ll toss a few extras in our bags in case we see an RD pal who just rocked a talk or is overwhelmed by people wanting his/her book at a book signing.
- REBBL* Coconut Milk Elixir with Adaptogens – The Reishi Chocolate and coffee protein elixirs are favorite options because adaptogens help the body restore balance during stress, better. Having them in my room fridge helps enable an early workout and fueling better after!
Are you a FNCE rookie or are you a polished FNCE expert? Where will you be at FNCE? Share your #BetterFNCE tips, thoughts and top locations with us on Twitter @AshleyKoff and @ToriSchmittRDN! We hope to see you there!
*Disclosure: Ashley Koff RD is a paid sponsor for the brands mentioned which she also may consume herself and recommends to her patients as appropriate. She may be the sole author of this post or not, but regardless she has reviewed and approved the statements and these are her recommendations.