Makes 8 cups (2 quarts), 8+ servings
2 tablespoon organic unsalted butter, Earth Balance or olive oil
1 ½ pounds assorted mushrooms (best are cremini, brown, portobellos)
A little kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 leeks, sliced, white only
2 large cloves garlic, smashed
1-2 teaspoons Organic Better Than Bouillon Mushroom Base
2 tarragon sprigs, plus additional for garnish
½ cup Marsala wine, dry white wine or brut Champagne
1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 ½ quarts (6 cups) mushroom or vegetable stock, preferably cold
White truffle oil or olive oil, optional, for garnish.
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, in separate
batches if necessary, seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Season with salt
freshly ground black pepper. Cook until browned and liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally
(this will take about 10 minutes).
2. Add the leek and garlic and cook until wilted and beginning to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the mushroom base, tarragon and wine, stirring to distribute. Cook until nearly dry, another
4. Drop in the potato and pour in the stock. Bring the flame to high and allow the soup to come
to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 -45 minutes, or until the potato is
very soft and the broth has thickened. Taste for seasoning, adding more mushroom base if salt is
needed and more broth if too thick. Cool slightly before blending.
5. Purée the soup in a blender to a creamy consistency. Garnish with the tarragon and a swirl of
truffle oil or olive oil if desired.
Lowfat Tofu Caesar Dressing (makes 1 cup)
2 tablespoons white wine or sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 juicy lemon)
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
6 to 8 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained, to taste or 1 tablespoon white miso paste
2 ounces (about ¼-inch slab) soft or medium-firm organic tofu, drained
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan cheese
1 generous tablespoon hemp seeds
Generous sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (preferably local and organic)
Crumble (Makes 1 ¼ cups)
1 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon white miso paste
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
1 bunch flat kale, stems removed, chopped (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup freshly shaved or grated Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan cheese
1. Prepare the Tofu Caesar Dressing: In a blender, combine all the ingredients except the oil.
Blend well, pouring in the oil through the top in a slow stream until smooth.
2. Prepare the Miso-Almond Crumble: In a food processor, blend the ingredients until clumps
form. If desired, transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 350˚F for 10 minutes, stirring halfway, until
golden and crunchy. Will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
your fingers, coat the salad entirely. Sprinkle with the Crumble and serve.